The next ten foods that should be in our diet.
- Broccoli – This is definitely a superfood with its fiber content and also sulforaphane which I have written about earlier. Should not be over cooked as it will lose some of its vitamins.
- Mushrooms – Some of the most common varieties of edible mushrooms are button, Portobello, shiitake, crimini and oyster mushrooms. Mushrooms contain vitamin A, potassium, fiber and several antioxidants not present in most other foods. They play a role in reducing inflammation and preventing certain cancers.
- Ginger – Comes from the root of a flowering plant in China. It is a flavor enhancer and has multiple medicinal effects. Ginger root contains antioxidants, such as gingerol, responsible for many of the health benefits associated with this food. Ginger can reduce pain and also reduce your risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and dementia.
- Seeds – From chia seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and hemp seeds, these small but mighty snacks are nutritional powerhouses. They are loaded with dietary fiber, protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. These seeds should be added to your diet immediately.
- Coconut oil – Especially the extra virgin coconut oil. It contains MCT oils which can actually help in reducing cholesterol. One tablespoon a day is usually sufficient to get its good effect.
- Beets – This have been shown to help offset the risk of many chronic diseases due to their high levels of vitamin B, iron, copper, magnesium, potassium and manganese.At home it is usually made as a dish with added herbs and spices and becomes a real nutritional powerhouse.
- Lentils – This earn the superfood label because they are loaded with nutrients and play a role in preventing various diseases. Legumes are a rich source of B vitamins, various minerals, protein and fiber. In my household it is almost taken daily in small quantities with wholegrain rice or bread.
- Garlic – Research indicates that garlic may be effective in reducing cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as supporting immune function. Sulfur containing compounds in garlic like allicin may even play a role in preventing certain cancers.
- Apples – An apple a day keeps the doctor away. I believe this to be true as an apple is a powerhouse of vitamins, C, K, A. E, B1, B2 and B6. It also contains potassium, copper and manganeseand fiber. It has polyphenols which have antioxidant effect.
- Bananas – This fruit is high in potassium, magnesium, vitamin C and B6. It can strengthen the nervous system and increase the production of white blood cells. It is also high in antioxidants. Taking one banana a day is healthy but too many can increase the calories and hence weight.
As you can see there are a whole lot of foods that Mother Nature has provided for us. There really is no necessity for us to eat any man-made foods. The list will continue.